Sunday, November 18, 2018

Horseback sighting in Connecticut pre-dates Patterson/Gimlin Film


By Dan Lindholm

I was contacted by Ruth recently and she shared this great story and correspondence with the late great Dr. Bindernagel. It’s not only very interesting as it occurred several years prior to the Patterson/Gimlin film and contains very good descriptions, but it’s also great for us to now have a small window into the process and even personality of Dr. Bindernagel himself.

[Original Message]
> > From: <xxxxx@mail.xxxxxx.net (John Bindernagel)>
> > To: <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.net>
> > Date: 9/23/04 9:58:24 PM
> > Subject: Re: FW: Connecticut sighting

Hello Ruth,
  Sorry to be so slow replying to your very interesting and exciting message. I really enjoyed reading your excellent description of the sighting and the conditions and commend you for the many details.

(Ruth)  “He stood like a human, with his huge arms at his sides, fists clenched. Simultaneously, my horse leaped forward, and to the side.  ....... I was able to see that his head was conical, his body and extremities were massive, and he had a flat profile, like a human, not a bear.  His face was also black.  He stood straight, not hunched over like a gorilla.”
 
  Great description, is there any chance of you attempting an eyewitness drawing from memory? That would be very helpful and a real contribution. If you are able to do so I will tell just why your report is somewhat exceptional and at the same time very helpful. (You have included something not often reported but very significant and something which is very convincing regarding its existence as a real animal.)

 “I hope this report is helpful. “

 Yes, it is.

  “I feel that it should be documented, even at this late date, since I have noticed that there are very few reports from the state of Connecticut.”

   True.

“(please do not publish my address)”

  No problem.

 “I know what I saw there thirty years ago, and would be willing to take a polygraph as to the veracity of this report.”

  A helpful and convincing offer, even if unnecessary. Thanks again.  Looking forward to hearing from you again. And again, sorry about taking so long to reply. I have been up the BC coast all summer collecting reports and following up on them. I am just now back and catching up on email messages. Yours is the best of the lot!

  best regards,
                          John B.


----- Original Message -----
From: Ruth Xxxxxxxxx
To:
Sent: 8/24/04 1:30:41 AM
Subject: FW: Connecticut sighting

  I think that you have an ethical site, which is why I am sending in this belated report.  At the time of my sighting, in 1964, I had never heard of Bigfoot...and I doubt many on the East coast had.  Whatever Sasquatch are, I don't believe they should be shot. I am 58 years old, now, but I remember the incident vividly.
  It was early August in 1964, and I was taking a break before I went on to the University of Connecticut.  I was riding my horse, Somerset, a huge, 17 hand Clydesdale/thoroughbred cross open jumper that I kept stabled at a stable on Xxxxx road, in Stamford, Connecticut.
  We had crossed through several fields and woods, part of which were on an 300 acre estate which at that time was owned by a Morgan Guarantee Bank CEO. Upon his death the land, which adjoins the Reservoir which at that time supplied the Stamford area, was left in his will to the State of Connecticut. 
  Anyway, we had crossed a creek onto a trail which was not far from the base of the reservoir, and wound up a hill heading toward the reservoir. There was a swampy area to my right, and up the hill, on my left, were several Native American burial mounds surrounded by bushes, some blueberry, I think.
  One of the mounds had recently been subject to a small dig by the Smithsonian, and then closed.    My horse became agitated, was snorting, and sidestepping- I was afraid of his losing his footing, and slipping down the hill.  I did notice that the smell of the swampy area was quite unpleasant. I continued further up the hill, trying to control and reassure my horse, when suddenly, in one fluid motion, a huge being covered in medium length black hair stood up from behind the bushes.to my left, where he had been crouching.
  He stood like a human, with his huge arms at his sides, fists clenched.  Simultaneously, my horse leaped forward, and to the side.  I don't know how I managed to stay on him, and still stare at this creature, but in that few seconds, I was able to see that his head was conical, his body and extremities were massive, and he had a flat profile, like a human, not a bear.  His face was also black.  He stood straight, not hunched over like a gorilla. He was at least eight feet tall-my horse was, as I indicated previously, 17 hands tall, a hand being four inches in measurement.  I am five feet, six inches, my torso is probably three feet, and this creature was taller than me astride the horse, even counting for the grade of the hill.
  He was only a few yards away!  My horse was uncontrollable, panicked, and we raced up the trail. When I was able to look back over my shoulder, we were not being pursued.  We galloped the few miles home, terrified. 
  When we reached the stable, the manager reprimanded me for my horse's condition, being lathered in sweat, and jumpy.  I told him, and a few others who boarded horses there, what happened, but they all joked, and didn't believe me.  The manager said that perhaps I had seen a black bear...but bears weren't found in that part of Connecticut, at that time. And this creature was much taller than any black bear. I'd seen plenty of them in New Hampshire. 
  The general consensus was that my horse and I had probably been frightened by a bum wandering in the woods, or a large black dog. Well, I know what I saw, and will never forget it. 
  Years later, I read about Bigfoot.  I wrote one California organization in 1974, but never received a reply. I know, now, that if he had wanted to harm me, he could have easily, in one stride, reached me, and knocked my horse off balance, and down the side of the hill. Or he could have stepped in front of me, and caused my horse to rear backwards. 
  Also, his hands were at his sides. balled into fists, but not raised threateningly. He didn't utter a sound.  In retrospect, I think he was more curious than anything. He was definitely not afraid of me. I had the sense later that he may have wanted me to see him, or perhaps he wanted to get a closer look at us. Otherwise, if he had remained crouched behind the bushes, I would never have seen him. having my hands full trying to control my horse. This is why I am against killing these intelligent, apparently hominid beings.
  Some of the doctored photos I've seen of Bigfoot are laughable, such as the one with the overly exaggerated shoulders, and tiny head, seen from above... The being in the Patterson film, aside from having breasts, seems most like what I saw.  Also, the way it turned it's head was similar to what I was able to glimpse. 
   I've never been back to that spot, and to this day, even living in Virginia, I am afraid to be in the deep woods alone. I am also convinced that the way to track these beings is on horseback, not on foot...they seem to be curious about a human on a horse.  I’ve noticed that a rider will often be able to approach a herd of deer quite closely, without causing them to panic.
  I hope this report is helpful.  I feel that it should be documented, even at this late date, since I have noticed that there are very few reports from the state of Connecticut.  I know what I saw there thirty years ago, and would be willing to take a polygraph as to the veracity of this report.
   
Mrs.Ruth Xxxxxx

The witness’ full name and address have been excluded per her request.

Blog post by Dan Lindholm









No comments:

Post a Comment